Nurse's Medical Corner
Students are required by state law to have certain medical information completed prior to the start ofschool or risk being excluded from school due to medical non-compliance. The required medicalinformation is listed below for each grade level of High School that has a specific medical requirement that affects medical compliance.
*****STUDENTS MUST BE IN MEDICAL COMPLIANCE TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES THAT UTILIZE THE ELIGIBILITY LIST FOR PARTICIPATION*********
Freshman/9th OR First Entrance into CPS
- Physical Exam dated 9/2015 or later
- (3) copies are required: 1) Parent, 2) School nurse, 3) club or team coach
- “Certificate of Child Health Exam” will count for both a sports physical and for medical compliance but a “SPORT PHYSICAL” WILL ONLY WORK FOR SPORTS AND WILL NOT MAKE A STUDENT MEDICALLY COMPLIANT FOR THE PHYSICAL EXAM COMPONENT
- Up to date vaccine record including:
- At least (3) DPT’s and IPV’s with the last dose (booster dose) of each being given on or after the 4th bday . In addition the booster dose of the DPT must be 6 months after the previous dose.
- (1) Tdap
- (1) Meningitis (must be MCV4)
- (2) MMR’s given AFTER the first birthday and at least 1 month apart
- (3) Hep B’s, with the first 2 doses given at least 2 months apart and the last dose ATLEAST 4 months from the 1st dose
- (2) Varicella given AFTER the first birthday and at least 1 month apart
REQUIRED FOR ALL STUDENTS AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH SCHOOL YEAR
- Completed Student Medical Information Form [Parent completes and please include phone number and an email address]
- Completed Vision Program Consent [Parent completes and must sign in TWO places and completed medical history section]
- Completed Dental Program Consent [Parent completes and must sign in TWO places]
- All students entering senior year must show proof of receiving (2) meningitis vaccines (must be MCV4) if they received their first dose prior to the age of 16. If they received only one dose of vaccine and it was given after the age of 16, they will be considered in compliance with only 1dose.
- This vaccine was not previously required for medical compliance, so any doses previously administered may not have been entered into your child’s school computerized record. Therefore, please present proof of all dates your child has received the vaccine, (even if it was on previous records) to the school nurse prior to the end of their Junior school year.
Physical exams are only required for medical compliance in 9th grade and first entrance to CPS in high school. However, if a student is participating in any type of team they will require a yearly physical in order to participate. Please make enough copies to give to all coaches ofteams in which your child participates.
DO NOT EVER GIVE THE SCHOOL YOUR ORIGINAL COPY OF YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS!!!!!!
ALWAYS KEEP A COPY FOR YOURSELF AND MAKE ENOUGH COPIES FOR COACHES AS WELL.
For students who may not be vaccinated due to medical or religious reasons there is a new state policy requiring forms to be completed by both the doctor and the parent on an annual basis. The child will not be considered in compliance until these forms are completed as required by State of IllinoisPolicy.