Our drivers ed trailer is open M-W from 3:45-5:45 pm on days that school is in session.
We are also open on Saturdays from 7-11 am.
If you have any questions, please call 773-534-2346 or email Mr. Jordanof at email@example.com.
MATHER DRIVER EDUCATION
Mather High School offers a ten-week comprehensive drivers education program as part of the Sophomore Physical Education curriculum. The concurrent program includes classroom instruction (needed as a graduation requirement for CPS students), simulation, range and traffic.
The mission of the department is to give the students the best education possible. This program is strictly enforced through state guidelines by the Illinois State Board of Education and the Office of the Secretary of State.
- Course Code: 99020
- Course Title: PE II/Drivers Ed
- Major/Minor: All
- Year taken: 10
- Level: Regular
- Prerequisites: Sophmore, 15 years old and passed 8 semester hours of academics
- Course Description: As a part of the Illinois Secretary of State Graduated Licensing Program, we offer a four-phased driver education program for sophomore students during the second year of Physical Education.
The course is divided into three phases.
- Phase 1: Classroom – The study of the rules and laws governing the safe operation of a motor vehicles for a minimum of 30 classroom hours.Simulation – The mode of instruction that bridges the gap between classroom instruction and actual handing of motor vehicle through the usage of computer simulated driving experiences.
- Phase 2: Range – Qualified instructors teach basic handling skills and maneuvers that are essential to safe driving. After completing these components, students begin the 50 hours of supervised driving as required by the state.
- Phase 3: Traffic – The traffic experience is a culmination of each student’s abilities learned from the previous phases. Students should have 10 supervised driving hours by their first traffic. Students will be driving on the streets with an instructor. Evaluation cards are given to the students to assess their strengths and weaknesses. The final product is a knowledgeable, safe and courteous driver.
Please bring the following with you:
- Permit application, transcripts/report card from home school
- A parent for signatures on permit application (both parent and student must be present)
- $20 Money order or personal check for permit made payable to Illinois Secretary of State
- $50 Drivers Education lab fee (payable online only at CPS e-Pay)