10 Reading Reasons
- Reading is rewarding. It brings pleasure and knowledge.
- Reading builds a mature vocabulary. The more you read, the more words you learn.
- Reading makes you a better writer. We learn to write by reading. We must write like readers and read like writers.
- Reading is hard, and "hard" is necessary.
- Reading makes you smarter. Research supports that students who read frequently, perform well academically.
- Reading prepares you for the world of work. Reading is the most basic of skills necessary for today's work force, especially in this 21st century.
- Reading well is financially rewarding.
- Reading opens the door to future learning. Strong reading is a prerequisite for all future tests.
- Reading keeps students on the path to success.
- Reading develops a moral compass. "Great writing matters, and by examining great works, teachers and students are provided rich opportunities to wrestle with universal ethical and moral dilemmas.”
Source: Gallagher, K. (2003). Reading Reasons: Motivational Mini-Lessons for Middle School and High School.
|10th Graders Reviews